Freezing Bread

Alright, maybe this should be a no-brainer, but for me freezing homemade bread has always kind of freaked me out. I think I have soggy bread issues from somewhere. Anyhow, I got a new bread recipe the other day that I wanted to try out, but it makes LOTS of bread. My friend said to just wrap the rest of the loaves in plastic wrap twice, and they freeze just fine. So I tried it out.

Making the bread was a story in and of itself. It is not a double rise recipe, which is what I prefer, but I did have to let it sit and "bubble" at 2 different points. I tried making it in my mixer, which is a mini-Bosch, and I thought it could handle the capacity. Well, at one of the "bubbling" parts, I set the timer to let it set for the appropriate amount of time and left the room. A little while later my husband called to let me know that the bread was exploding! Seriously! It was bubbling out of the bowl, onto the counter, and onto the floor. I had exploding bread dough. I've never seen anything quite like it. So I had to transfer it to my largest mixing bowl and then proceed to knead the dough by hand(not my favorite thing). I got things under control and eventually I ended up with 4 beautiful loaves of bread(the recipe can make more loaves, but I made mine pretty big). Hooray!

I took 2 and froze them, knowing that fresh bread doesn't last too long in our house. So last night I took out one of the loaves to un-thaw overnight. I put it on a cooling rack(a tip I got from a friend a long time ago) so that no moisture would build up on the bottom(not sure if this even happens, but I have soggy bread issues so I took the extra precaution). This morning I sliced into the loaf, and it was just as moist and fresh as the other loaves I had not frozen. Texture entirely entact. I am so excited I had to blog about it. So now I know that instead of having to make bread often, I just need to make lots of loaves and freeze the extra for homemade bread all the time! Yeah!

So if you have a bread recipe you like, make lots so you can freeze the extra. But you probably already do, and I'm just a bit slow in this regard. :)

2 comments:

Robin said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you!

Kristi said...

I love homemade bread, but for whatever reason, I don't like to make it. But there's this bread that you can only get in Utah that my family DEVOURS. Whenever Ben's parents come to visit, they bring us 20-30 loaves of the stuff and we put it all in the freezer. I've learned 2 things about freezing bread from this:
1-DO NOT put your bread on the floor of the freezer. There needs to be air circulation or the bottom of your bread will be gross when you thaw it.
2- Double wrapping is a good idea. I just put my bread in a grocery sack because it's already in the bread bag.
I'm so glad you can freeze bread!!!!

Lego Meets Machine

Roger is really into electronics lately. Combine that with his love for Legos.  Tonight Will challenged him to make a replica of a CNC mac...